As forensic accountants, valuation analysts, and economic experts, we can provide you with an accurate business valuation.
Whether you’re negotiating a merger, considering new shareholders, attempting to resolve disputes associated with a liability, shareholder equity, estate planning, or marital dissolution, a believable, defendable, and objective valuation can make the difference between loss or gain, consummating the deal or having the arrangement fall through. After all that work, you’re back to where you started without having achieved your goal—an outcome to be avoided for many reasons.
Business Valuation 101
Business valuation is not an exact science. There is not really a Business Valuation 101 because Business Valuation is an “upper level” class that you should not try to tackle for yourself, particularly if it is your business or if the reason for the valuation is contentious. You’re biased, and anyone needing to act upon your valuation will know that. The best business valuations are based on judgment, experience, and relevant information. It is advised to use impartial professionals who are well qualified with an understanding of what it takes to properly evaluate all types of organizations or personal estates using the most appropriate method for your company, industry, or situation.
Business Valuation 201
Our approach is to know your business intimately or to understand at your life-stage what constitutes value for you and the other parties in the transaction. We work with you to analyze your company’s current operations and study your historical financial data. Our in-depth knowledge of your business enables us to provide a well-reasoned, fully documented and defensible valuation opinion. If it is a personal matter, we can manage that for you as well.
How is this possible? We may not have even met. It is achievable because our firm has been in business for over 25 years, and we have worked with many companies from sole proprietorships to LLCs, C-corporations, S-corporations, and partnerships across many industries.
Business Valuation “Graduate Studies”
As Certified Public Accountants, we are bound by the AICPA (American Institute of Certified Public Accountants) Code of Professional Conduct, Rule 102 to meet standards of independence, objectivity, and integrity when performing attest services. We provide a full range of business valuation services to address the following:
- Purchase or sale of closely held business or business interests
- Management buyouts
- Leveraged buyout transactions
- Bank financing
- Financial restructuring and recapitalization
- Employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs)
- Analysis and advice concerning pending offers to purchase
- Valuation of subsidiaries, divisions, and joint ventures for spin-off to shareholders or sale in a mergers and acquisition scenario
- Physician buy-in to medical practices
- Court-appointed valuations in disputes
- Minority shareholder disputes and litigation
- Divorce (equitable distribution)
- Business damage assessment and determination
- Solvency analysis and fraudulent conveyance
- Reasonable officer compensation determination in disputes with the Internal Revenue Service
- Binding arbitration
- Litigation consulting services provided to trial counsel in preparing to depose and cross-examine valuation experts
As a California CPA firm, we can perform a business valuation starting right here in Los Angeles County where we are located, or provide the business valuation you need in any of the 58 counties in the state of California.
Our role in the business valuation engagement can be one of being your advocate, or being neutral and remaining independent. We are happy and trained to perform in either capacity and will make sure we are clear before you engage our services. We can do and have done both for many years.
Please contact us to let us know how we can help you in valuing your business, professional practice, or your estate.