October 15th (17th this year) is a huge date for us in the tax realm. It’s the final extended due date for late filers to get their tax returns in on time. While April 15th gets a lot of publicity, historically October has been busier for our firm than April due to all the folks who go on extension. Some extend because they can’t get all their info to us by April 15th, but many are simply procrastinators who wait until the last minute to file.
Want to drive your CPA crazy? Here are some tips on how to do it:
1) Ignore for months the requests for missing information until October 13, and then insist on filing on time.
2) Telephone on 10/15 and insist on talking to your preparer to confirm that the front desk transmitted your tax return.
3) If we had to delay working on your non tax deadline work until after the tax deadline, be sure and call the next day and ask when it will be finished.
4) Plan on picking up and signing for your returns at 5PM on the 15th.
5) If you are looking for a new preparer, start calling at 4pm on 10/15 asking about prices and if we can prepare it on time.
6) Get your taxes done early, but wait until 10/15 to review them and call us with questions.
Our season went well this year, but we had our share of all of the above. As a result I will be spending several upcoming weekends in the Eastern Sierras reconnecting with the outdoors for some needed R&R. There are still areas up there without cellular service, and I intend to find them.